Monday, February 11, 2013

Conquering a child hood fear

I just earned my Orange belt in Karate. I had a ridiculous amount of anxiety about testing-to the point of tears. After meditating on this a bit, I realized that I have never felt particularly athletic or strong because I was the heaviest kid in my class, all the way through 8th grade. I was terrible in Gym class. I remember having to perform physical challenges in front of others and failing miserably. I was teased viciously for my weight. A particularly cruel kid nick-named me "The Goodyear Blimp" and successfully brought me to tears every day in 2nd grade. The nick-name stuck all the way through 5th grade. I was always last picked in Gym class, and recess for anything sports related. By 5th grade I had developed a pretty poor self image. I actually hid in the bathroom at recess to avoid being teased! BIG sigh. That isn't me anymore. I'm all grown up now, and little Lisa is safe and strong. No one teases me for my weight or athletic ability anymore.  It is time to let go of an out-dated self image.

Joining Karate America has given me hope. I don't feel un-athletic and incompetent anymore-I feel like I could actually be pretty good one day. This place isn't ego-based, and the instructors communicate in a compassionate and empowering manner. It's really broken some beliefs I had about martial arts being all about pride and ego. This place isn't about that at all. It's about putting my best foot forward and sharing my successes with the world. The environment is very inclusive-like a family. I should clarify, I get absolutely nothing for endorsing them-they have just really been fundamental in changing my self esteem. In writing this blog, and sharing some of my vulnerable past history, I truly hope that it inspires you to push past some of your own limitations. Whatever your fears are, I believe they are there to be conquered. Just imagine what you might do without them there. Who might you become?

No comments:

Post a Comment