Saturday, February 16, 2013

Relax before impact

Today in Karate class, a fellow student told me how the drunk driver often isn't injured in the accident because they are "relaxed" upon impact. I had never heard it put that way before-please forgive the disturbing topic, but it really made sense to me.  I know many people that have gotten hurt because they tensed up when they fell, or they were super tense and then lifted something heavy, and then injured their back. Being relaxed before receiving any injury certainly helps with the impact of it. This is why meditation, good sleep, and balance are so very important for our well being.

My leg was hurt holding the sparring shield this morning, because I was tensing before the impact of my sparring partner's kicks. My fellow student suggested breathing in and out with the kicks I received. Wow. SO... If you are relaxed in mind and body (I am NOT saying under the influence of any chemicals here) you are less likely to get hurt-in mind, body, or spirit. BIG insight for me this morning. I can apply this to so many areas of my life. Staying relaxed, breathing, and not tensing up before impact-no matter what kind-physical or emotional, will ultimately keep me safer in every way.

No comments:

Post a Comment